Well it’s that time of year again, where we are bombarded with all those temptations at social occasions. Here are a few tips to keep that healthy balance for your family.
Partake in Party Food
* Bringing a plate of something healthy is a sure-fired way to reduce too much temptation, not only for the kids but for all.
* Avoid over-filling plates. Encourage the kids to decide to try a little of a few options rather than a lot of everything.
* Bring a container for leftovers so nothing goes to waste and you and the kids feel like they did not miss out if they did not try everything.
Keep it Colourful
* Sticks and dip- celebrate with a rainbow of capsicum, cucumber, carrot, celery, beans, broccoli and cauliflower stalks or florets.
* Crisp up the cheese platter with thinly sliced, crunchy pear and apple cheeks. Keep the slices together to avoid browning.
* You can make friends with salad! Jazz up a salad with some herbs or edible flowers like violets or nasturtiums. Serve the dressing on the side so everyone can choose how much or how little they like. Kids tend to like this too.
* Everyone loves a summer fruit salad. Add some mint or thyme for a twist.
Keep Your Cool
* Frozen fruit such as orange quarters, grapes, berries and banana chunks are always a hit for all.
* Create home-made yoghurt or fruit juice ice-blocks with added fruit slices.
Cheers I Hear?
* To water add festive shaped ice cubes, mint of fruit of your choice.
* Instead of lemonade, add soda water to the punch with plenty of fruit and ice. Serve in small glasses with extra ice to keep the portions small.
* Gourmet Food Baskets:
* Grab some fresh fruit, uncracked nuts, fair trade tea or coffee, honey, home or locally made chutneys, oils, dressings and sauces. The kids will have fun putting together a unique basket for relatives.
* Healthy and Earth-friendly:
* Green shopping bags, fruit and veggie bags to encourage the kids to help out with the shopping- they can even double up as the gift wrap!
* Reusable water bottles or keep cups
* Reusable straws and personal picnic sets
* Active gifts to keep everyone moving and grooving:
* bats, rackets, balls of all sports, Frisbee, skipping rope, hula hoop, boogie boards, fit ball, yoga mat, weight set, helmets, gloves, shoes, padding, bike maintenance kits the list is endless!
* Classes for land or water sport, dance, gymnastics, circus, Pilates or yoga.
* Family adventure tours- walks, bike rides, water sports like sailing or kayaking
All the best with starting some new healthy festive trends. I am sure they will catch on. Merry Christmas!